After a fairly busy day out today, Matthew and I got home around 4:00 this afternoon, at which point I usually give some thought to starting dinner. But the day was just too glorious to seriously consider going inside, and Matthew was pleading with me to stay out. Hmmmm, such a big decision: start dinner or go outside and play. Yeah, that's a tough one. Out we went.
After a lovely bike ride around the area, Matthew picked pine cones from the hedge out front and put them into the cookie jar he appropriated from me a while back for his various treasures, and then we played hockey on the driveway. As we played, I couldn't help but think that some of my very favourite sounds in the world are the sounds I was hearing:
- hockey sticks hitting pavement as we somewhat-awkwardly stick handled the ball, and the accompany cries of glee when one of us scored a goal and the 'crowd' went wild.
- basketballs echoing on the driveway a few houses down, followed by the unmistakable sound of the ball hitting the backboard and swishing through the net.
- shouts and chatter coming from the nearby field where soccer teams have started the season; car door slams as people pull up to join the game.
- a friendly 'hello' and 'how're you doing' to and from neighbours who have emerged from hibernation.
- footsteps jogging by as man and his best friend enjoy what I imagine to be the best kind of day for a run.
- tiny chirps from the sparrow sitting at the top of the big pine tree in the front yard.
* Thanks for the comment Joy - I laughed when I read about your reluctance re: dinner prep! Gwen, thanks for the reminder - I, too, love the sound of lawnmowers in the spring (and loved the quote - thanks!)!