Wednesday, April 21, 2010

AHH...the Sound of Spring

The past month has been glorious, weather-wise; much warmer, much earlier, than usual.  The sun is bright, the air is oh-so-warm, and the neighbourhood is alive with renewed spring in its step.

After a fairly busy day out today, Matthew and I got home around 4:00 this afternoon, at which point I usually give some thought to starting dinner.  But the day was just too glorious to seriously consider going inside, and Matthew was pleading with me to stay out.  Hmmmm, such a big decision:  start dinner or go outside and play.  Yeah, that's a tough one.  Out we went.

After a lovely bike ride around the area, Matthew picked pine cones from the hedge out front and put them into the cookie jar he appropriated from me a while back for his various treasures, and then we played hockey on the driveway.  As we played, I couldn't help but think that some of my very favourite sounds in the world are the sounds I was hearing:
  • hockey sticks hitting pavement as we somewhat-awkwardly stick handled the ball, and the accompany cries of glee when one of us scored a goal and the 'crowd' went wild.
  • basketballs echoing on the driveway a few houses down, followed by the unmistakable sound of the ball hitting the backboard and swishing through the net.
  • shouts and chatter coming from the nearby field where soccer teams have started the season; car door slams as people pull up to join the game.
  • a friendly 'hello' and 'how're you doing' to and from neighbours who have emerged from hibernation.
  • footsteps jogging by as man and his best friend enjoy what I imagine to be the best kind of day for a run.
  • tiny chirps from the sparrow sitting at the top of the big pine tree in the front yard.
Who cares that we digressed from the menu plan and, worse, degenerated to eating oatmeal and fruit smoothies for dinner??  That can't be so horrid...can it?!  We can always get back on track tomorrow.  Of course, I haven't checked the forecast yet!

* Thanks for the comment Joy - I laughed when I read about your reluctance re: dinner prep!  Gwen, thanks for the reminder - I, too, love the sound of lawnmowers in the spring (and loved the quote - thanks!)!

2 comments:

  1. That all sounds lovely to me - we have been enjoying the sights, sounds, and warmth of spring as well! (although to be fully transparent about my bias: I would do almost anything to avoid thinking about preparing food)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, such lovely sounds! I personally like the sound of lawnmowers... as Beverly Cleary wrote, nobody ever writes poems about them, but they're just as much a sign of spring as tulips and daffodils. haha!

    "The winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land!" Not too many turtles where I'm from, and the rain is certainly not over and gone, but I'm still feelin' the springish love!

    ReplyDelete