So...the hypothetical canine friend we hoped to add to our family this weekend may end up being just that...hypothetical.
I learned this evening that said canine went to the vet today for a final check and for the insertion of an ear locator chip. Turns out he has a heart murmur. First time in our breeder's 16 year history. This means that he may be just fine for the next 12-15 years; or he may die any time between now and then...just kinda fall over with heart failure. The vet was apparently hard pressed to believe this to be true of our puppy because he is the biggest and most active pup in the litter and this would not, in her experience, be consistent with him having this issue.
1. Still take the puppy this weekend, at half price, and no health warranty.
2. Wait until April 12, when the vet will take another look at him to see if the heart murmur closes up; apparently in puppies, this is a good possibility by the age of 12 weeks. If we wait, and he's fine, our contract remains intact and the health warranty included with it remains valid for two years.
3. Wait until April 12, and if the heart murmur doesn't close up, we can still take him for half price with no health warranty.
4. We could choose, immediately, the other male puppy she has right now. A replacement pup. Apparently the colouring isn't quite as lovely on the other male, but whatever on that issue. The 'problem' with this option is that the alternate pup was born just three days ago and won't be ready for taking home until mid-May. In the grand scheme of things, two more months isn't that long; but my worry is that enough people know of our plans that there might be accidental leakage of the news to the kids. The other hard thing, to be honest, is that I've already started attaching to the dog I chose; I've visited him four times and I'm rather bonded. The prospect of 'simply' replacing him with another puppy is a difficult prospect for me. Also, all of our momentum and preparation has been towards this weekend and it's frankly a little hard to shift from that...but again, in the bigger scheme of things, this probably shouldn't matter too much.
5. Wait until April 12, and if the heart murmur doesn't close up, we could then choose to take the alternate male pup. We've already paid the fee, and the two year warranty would transfer to the new puppy. Our breeder was kind enough to offer this option, which means that she will refrain from selling the alternate male pup to anyone else until mid April. This is the option she said she would choose if it were her; wait until April - if our current pup is ok, he's ours; and if he's not we can have the other.
Really?? I really can't believe this. I thought it was all signed, sealed...and just waiting for delivery. How discouraging.
Thoughts? What would you do? I think I know what we'll do, but I'd love some additional insights here.