...purely hypothetically, what kinds of things does one need to do or purchase before adding a furry friend of canine variety to one's household?
I am not saying that this is what we will be doing in our household in the next week or so, and my children would tell you with great certainty that there are no such plans in the works until the elusive when hell freezes over happens.
But if one were thinking of such a thing and intending to keep it as a surprise from one's children, what kinds of things would one need to do to prepare? I have a small list going for such an occurrence, but I'm about twenty years post puppy experience, and about eight years post adult dog experience and I'm rather dim on details.
My list so far:
* food and water dishes (any suggestions here...do you like those things that give out water on an as-needed basis, or just prefer to continually refill the bowl?)
* bed - I'm thinking sherpa bed because it's soft and anti-bacterial, but thoughts?
* kennel - how big a kennel does one purchase for a dog that (hypothetically) will grow to approximately 12-14" high
* a corral for when we're out of the house
* a puppy pad for the corral in case a little friend might have to use the toilet while we're out
* a sling for me to carry the hypothetical creature around in...to build attachment, of course...we are developmental theory advocates!
Thoughts? Suggestions? Helpful tips?
Just hypothetically, of course.