Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Something Fishy Going On...a Fabulous Trout Meal

Ya gotta love it when your kids devour healthy food.  Don't get me wrong...my kids love their junk food and candy...a little too much, if you ask me.  But they're also pretty darn good at eating a variety of healthy foods.

One thing I really appreciate is that my kids generally love fish.  I love fish, too, and usually cook it at least once a week, so I'm very happy that this is something that goes down our gullets easily.

Salmon, halibut, trout, sole, pickerel, cod, tilapia...you name it.  Poached, grilled, baked, sauce or no sauce...it doesn't seem to matter.  It still amazes me that they love it as much as they do, but they do.

A few nights ago for dinner I made trout, along with brown rice and veg.  It's one of my go-to meals when I have only minutes to prep.  I've been making this meal for years.

The first thing I do is get the sprouted brown rice (not converted or minute rice because of the chemicals in them) going because that'll take 25 minutes to cook, and another 3-5 minutes to rest.  In another pot, I also put up an inch or two of water to boil, for the broccoli I'm about to steam.  We often use the already-cut-up broccoli that we get in big bags from Costco because it's so quick and easy to use.  Ten minutes before the fish is out of the oven I drop the broccoli into the pot to steam and pull the parmesan cheese petals out of the fridge because I like to sprinkle it over the bowl of broccoli.

Anyway, after spending two minutes (or less) getting the rice and the broccoli water underway, I prep my fish...and it's so easy you'll wonder why you've never done it this way before.

I cover a cookie sheet with a length of foil or parchment (whatever I have), and lay the long fillets of trout onto the foil, skin side down (which is great, because the skin sticks to the foil, which makes the fish super easy to dish out with a fork, and means no clean up of the pan later!).
I brush a little oil on top of the fish (I use grapeseed because it has a higher smoke point than olive oil), and sprinkle the surface with sea salt, pepper and whatever herbs or spices I feel like...a few nights ago I just sprinkled on it an organic no-salt seasoning mixture that I picked up at Costco (my go-to, quick and healthy flavouring).  About three minutes' prep and that's it!
Pop it into the oven at 350 for 20-22 minutes, then turn on the broil for a minute or two to get a bit of golden crunch on the top, and you're done. (Note: it's during the broil time that I put the rice in a bowl, and then drain and serve up the broccoli, dump it into a bowl, and sprinkle the parmesan petals overtop.)

In thirty minutes, you can sit down to a delicious and healthy meal...and in our home my kids devour this meal!  In fact, Geoff was home a little late from work when I made it last weeks and I had to put some trout aside for him because the kids would otherwise have eaten the whole lot of it!

Anyway, I hope you try this trout recipe out...it simply could not be easier and it is delicious and flaky and moist and flavourful.


No comments:

Post a Comment