Friday, March 15, 2013

Breakfasts.

We love breakfasts around here...well, at least I do and therefore we all do!  :)

Although there are definitely weeks where peanut butter toast is more normal than not, most weeks see us eating a variety of yummy breakfast foods, usually served alongside a bowl of fresh fruit.  Egg/veg/meat frittatas, french toast, oatmeal, pancakes, muffins, loaves, and occasionally cinnamon buns, are amongst the kids' favourites.

(below)
One super-easy breakfast I make occasionally is a German pancake.  What I love about it is that I literally toss about six ingredients into a blender, blend it for 30 seconds, pour it into a 9x13" pan, and bake it for 20 minutes.  It comes out looking impressively high and awe-inspiring every time, and it's delicious. Sometimes I even make an incredible buttermilk syrup to go with it, which makes it that much better.
 
(below)
Of course, lots of fruit.  We eat a lot of fruit around here.  Mangos, kiwi, oranges, and bananas are the current favs.  In the past week, we have eaten over a dozen mangos, a box of oranges (about 20), a large bunch of bananas, most of a bag of apples, a bag of red grapes, and most of a box of (about 12) kiwi.  Fruit graces our table most breakfasts and most snack times, and occasionally it constitutes dessert at dinner time.  It's a lot of work cutting it up, but I've definitely become faster over the past couple of years...I guess experience will do that!  When I cut up mangos, I love watching the kids.  They flank me at the counter top and they vie for the pits and the peels of every mango I cut up (I have to cut up at least three mangos every time to ensure that every kid gets a pit and a couple of pieces of peel!).  Then they stand at the counter (Lizzie on a stool), sucking and nibbling off every bit of the fruit from the pits and peels.  They do the same with oranges (minus the pits!), begging for the long strands of peel that I try to take off in one piece - they nibble their way down the long piece of peel, ferreting out every bit of sweet fruit they can get out of it.  I should take a picture of them doing this some day.

(below)
Of course, the old French toast, using just plain old whole wheat toast bread so that I don't have to remember to buy special bread.

(below)
A few days ago, I made the kids a special treat: cinnamon buns.  It was a new from-scratch recipe and one that took just 30 minutes to get a pan into the oven, and that made it more doable than most other recipes.  We feasted on these babies a few times this week!

 

It's still early as I write this and it's going to be a busy day.  I was planning to do the toast thing this morning for breakfast; however, as I press 'publish' on this post, my mouth is watering a bit and I'm thinking I might have to revisit my plan.  Yup, we/I do love a yummy breakfast.

Have a great Friday, all!

5 comments:

  1. Please post the German pancake & buttermilk syrup recipe!!! It sounds SOOO good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cinnamon buns looks really yummy - I'd love the recipe some time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gosh, I'm doing breakfast entirely wrong! It seems to get put on the back burner and is often something mindless. However, some of my best memories growing up were family breakfasts. Good to see your young people will have those memories too. There's just something nice about knowing that your parents took time in a busy morning to make something a bit special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems a bit cruel to have such scrumptious photos and descriptions of your foods without including recipes!
    A lurker : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, OK, I'm cruel!

    I'll post recipes for the cinnamon buns and the German pancake recipe in the next few days!

    You know, Charity, I think my kids see this as a little too NORMAL! They actually complain a little when they eat peanut butter toast two or (heaven forbid) three days in a row...even though they all love peanut butter. It's hard to find a balance. But whatever, I figure - I'll just keep doing it, hopefully, and they'll look back someday and realize that, yeah, breakfasts around here were usually pretty awesome!

    Thanks all.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete