Friday, July 22, 2011

Week 5

OK, so I'm very late in posting pictures from last week.  Today actually marks six weeks since we've had the kids, but this week has been a little crazy and I haven't had a chance to post last week's highlights yet.  So...here they are...last week's photos:
(below)
A definite highlight for Matthew last week was attending basketball camp in the mornings.  He attended this same camp last year and loved it...it was the only camp he wanted to attend this year.  The coaches are incredible, and his learning of various basketball techniques and skills has been really neat to see.  The younger kids and I took Matthew to camp every morning, and we usually got there pretty early so that the two younger kids could toss a basketball around for a while, too.  It was a good experience for me, too, because for the first time I was able to spend time with Seth and Lizzie on their own, while Matthew was at camp for a few hours every day.  The three of us didn't do anything fancy...we mostly just hung out at the house and went for walks and played - which was enjoyed by all.


(below)
Matthew with his amazing coaches.  The coach in the middle was also great with our younger kids after camp was over; she played games with Seth and Lizzie in the gym, teaching them little things about basketball and even getting down on the gym floor and rolling around with them. The other coaches shot hoops with Matthew during their lunch break, and said that all three kids were welcome to stay until their next camp started in the afternoon.


(below)
I've been thankful for the great weather this summer, because we continue to spend a lot of time outside.  The boys can't get enough of their bikes, and Lizzie has finally mastered the art of riding a tricycle.  They all sweat profusely (especially Seth - he's such a sweater!), drink many of their water bottles empty every day, and just love the expending of energy.  The all play hard...especially Seth.


(below)
Early last week, we ventured out one afternoon with friends, and went to a local wading pool.  This was the kids' first experience in a pool, and I think it's fair to say that they loved it!  They showed no fear of the water, which was great (a little scary, but great).



(below)
Even Matthew had a great time, though he was worried that a 'kiddie pool' might be a little too young for him. I think the fact that his friends were there, having a good time, made all the difference.

(below)
One morning, I managed to get a few pictures of the three kids together on the front step...I particularly liked the two below:


(below)
I love this picture of my #1 and me together. 

(below)
The big highlight of last week was a six-day visit from my brother and his three boys.  This picture was taken at a family wedding we all attended on the weekend.  I adore my nephews and it's always a huge joy when I get to spend some time with them...they're amazing guys.  This visit was awesome, too, because they got to meet their new cousins (and my brother his new nephew and niece).  I think they all fell in love with each other...when my brother and nephews finally left the city to go home, my kids were very sad and asked about them for days.  Even now, several days later, Seth and Lizzie go back to their photo albums and point out the pictures of their big cousins.

(below)
My brother taught Seth how to throw a football and wow, can that boy throw - perfect spirals, from end to end of the yard.  I can already foresee many and varied sporting events in our future.  Below (on the left) you can see him trying to step into his throw the way David taught him. The picture on the right is of Seth's delight after throwing a ball clear across the yard.
(below)
On the left is Seth getting a free ride from his oldest cousin. On the right is another of the 'big' cousins, whose name my kids keep calling out!!

(below)
I can hardly believe that my oldest nephew turned twenty last week. I remember him as a little baby in my arms like it was yesterday...and now he's through his teens!  He's a smart, kind-hearted (and obviously good looking) guy, and I'm so proud of him.  I lucked out in the nephew department because I have four great ones!

(below)
Speaking of nephews, here's my youngest nephew with Matthew - he's my sister's oldest.

(below)
My middle child...isn't he beautiful?

(below)
The cousins horsing around in my parents' backyard.

(below)
On the left is my brother's youngest (who's not very young anymore!).  On the right is Seth on my brother's shoulders, ready to throw a ball; Seth spent a lot of time up there with my brother and it was great seeing how well they connected.
(below)
Geoff and my brother with Lizzie and Seth.

(below)
My brother with his newest niece.  She loved giving him (repeated) big sloppy kisses, which he pretended not to like...which only made her do it all the more!

(below)
My visiting nephews brought along various of their portable electronic devices (ipads, ipod touches, iphones, etc) and my boys discovered their magic!  They would happily have spent hours playing with them.

(below)
Lizzie and Geoff.
(below)
My sister and nephew.

(below)
My Mom, with her oldest grand daughter, my sister's daughter and Matthew's same-age beloved.

(below)
Lizzie spitting out dirt from my mother's garden..after sampling it first!

(below)
My brother-in-law, Andrew...one of my favourite people.


(below)
The whole family spent a lot of time just hanging out (and eating!) last week.

(below)
I love seeing Lizzie take on her brothers with a water gun almost as big as she is!
(below)
And of course, the two boys love taking revenge on each other for all past wrong-doings!



(below)
Seth loves ice cream, having had it a few times now, and being free of tooth pain since his dental surgery a couple of weeks ago.  Can you see him sweating here?  He often has rivers of sweat running down his face after even the shortest times of intense play.

(below)
And Matthew and his chocolate...

(below)
My parents.

(below)
The whole clan:

Last week was a very social and busy week, which may have been a little too much for Seth and Lizzie, but which was fun nonetheless. 

I have more to post about this week, but that's another story!

7 comments:

  1. Ok Ruth, Crazy Question. I was looking at your pictures. Is your brother-in-law's name Andrew Hiebert? I went to bible school in Winkler with a guy named Andrew Hiebert and he looks an awful lot like the guy in your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elsie -
    yes, it's one and the same! What a small world - I'll tell him you recognized him!! Great guy isn't he?

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say a big hi for me. You are right. He is a great guy and we were good friends in Bible School. What a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of Seth smooching Matthew. The brotherly love must be growing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures my favorite is Lizzie with that BIg gun and so concentrated of whatever she is going to do! You have a beautiful family Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great blogs aunt ruth! your such a talented writer!

    -paul

    ReplyDelete