Tuesday, April 27, 2010

"More Fish Please"

How often do you hear that request from a six-year-old??  But that was what I heard last night after making what Matthew called "the best meal you've ever made."  Later, he thought of some exceptions to that best meal statement (like spaghetti and meatballs!), but it stood firm throughout dinner.  In addition to rice and three (yes, three!) servings of broccoli (with a bit of homemade cheese sauce drizzled over-top to help it go down), Matthew asked for seconds of trout.  While he's usually pretty good about eating fish, he's never asked for more before.  He even suggested that we have the leftovers for breakfast!  Dang, it really was that good.

For those who are interested, the recipe couldn't be much easier...here it is:

Roasted Trout with Gremolada:

2 cups thinly sliced onions (I used one really huge onion; halved it; then sliced it thinly)
2 cloves of garlic (I used 4)
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
A sprinkle of salt and pepper
4 trout or salmon fillets (I used a side of trout instead of fillets - I used half of a package that I bought at Costco)

Gremolada: (note: I doubled this, approximately, to cover the whole side of the trout)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1-2 clove garlic, minced (I used 4 cloves for a double recipe)
I used about 1 tsp of olive oil to bind these ingredients together; it helped later, when spreading it on the fish.

In a microwaveable bowl, combine the onions, garlic, oil, salt and pepper; cover and microwave on high, stirring twice, until softened, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the gremolada ingredients.

Spread microwaved onion mixture in a 9x13" pan (or on a rimmed cookie sheet).  Arrange fish overtop. Spread gremolada over the top.

Roast fish in the bottom third of the oven at 425 degrees F (220 C) until fish flakes easily, about ten minutes.

Enjoy...it really is that good!

* Thanks for the comments!  Kristen, I'm so glad you tried it already and that it was such a hit with your girls!!  This recipe's a keeper!  

3 comments:

  1. Okay, Matthew has sold me on it. I'll try this as soon as my husband brings home some fish. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound good. And requests for seconds are rare in my house, unless there's a treat attached to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe! I made it for supper last night, and both my girls had THREE helpings each...clearly a hit!

    ReplyDelete