Monday, February 9, 2015

Ginger, Cinnamon, Lemon, & Honey 'Tea'

I've been making a wonderful 'tea' of sorts lately.  Somewhere I'd read about stewing ginger for a nice cup of something warm, and to that I've been adding a few other ingredients to make for a steaming cuppa.

I put water into a pot (maybe a litre?), add a couple of inches of fresh ginger (sliced), and a cinnamon stick.  I bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and cover, and then let it simmer for 20-60 minutes (depending on how much time I have).  Once I'm ready to drink it, I remove it from the heat and squeeze a whole fresh lemon into it, getting every bit of fresh juice that I can.  I pour myself (and any of the kids who want) a cup and stir a large dollop of raw honey into it.  Yum.  I've served it up to a few friends of late, as well as to my parents and sister, and so far the verdict has been awesome!

The nice thing is that it's caffeine free so the kids can drink it and it can be sipped on even just before bed.  It's a little tingly, while still feeling soothing and refreshing...and all of the ingredients are good for the body!  I use organic ginger and lemon (in addition to organic, raw honey), because I find the taste of organic ginger and lemons to be really awesome, but you wouldn't have to use the organic stuff.  Oh, and on days when we're hanging around home, I usually brew a second pot of it using the same ginger and cinnamon as for the first pot...just add water, and later squeeze another lemon into it.

Added bonus:  It makes the house smell good...all gingery and cinnamony.

Enjoy!  And let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment