Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Three Years of Blogging!

Who knew I had it in me??  Three years of blogging??  Seriously.  I've amazed myself...I didn't know I had such stick-to-it-ness about anything!

Just in case you're interested (but mostly for my own interest!) I have published 804 posts over the past three years, averaging 23 posts/month.  I typically get between 300 and 400 hits/day from readers.  Interestingly, it seems that the highest number of hits are for posts about h/schooling, adoption issues, and book lists/reviews.

The fewest number of posts I published in a one-month period was 12, which reflects the number I posted in both September and October of 2011 - interestingly, during some of my lowest months, emotionally, in the process of transitioning to a family of five.  Yikes, I don't like thinking about those months, or the two following them.

The highest number of posts I published in a month was 35 (sheesh - more than one/day!), and this number reflects the number posted in both of December of 2009 and January of 2010...I guess I was on a roll around the time that Imagine Adoption was back up and running after its bankruptcy.

I don't know what I possibly could have said in all of these 800+ rambly posts.  When I originally came up with the title of my blog, it was mostly because I was looking for an alliteration with the letter "R" from my first name, and because so many other titles had been taken by other bloggers.  In fact, there are now one or two other blogs entitled something like Ruth's Rambles, and one of those blogs makes me rather uncomfortable!  But it seems as if the name is apt for me, too.  I do tend to ramble on.  And I seem to have no shortage of things to talk about.

I truly don't know why people keep reading my rambles.  I've often wondered.  I only know that I keep writing it because it's an outlet for my need to write something, and because I feel like I'm doing something perhaps worthwhile for my family by chronicling a few of the ongoings around here and some of the things I think about (well, that part may not be worthwhile!).

The number of comments that I receive has ebbed and flowed significantly; much more of an ebb than a flow in the past number of months.  I confess that I miss the days when more people left comments for me.  Somehow comments make a blog feel a little bit more like a dialogue than a monologue; a conversation rather than a soliloquy.  It's nice to have feedback.  Those who do comment I have come to really appreciate - the support and wisdom you have offered me over these three years have really made my day on many occasions; even the more critical comments have been thought-provoking for me and have spurred me on to further growth (and likely another blog post!).

I have a few questions for you, dear reader - answer one or answer all or choose to answer none at all (did you catch the unintended-rhymey-rhythm there that I'll leave in just 'cause I like the way it turned out?):
  • Why do you keep reading my blog?
  • When you think of my blog, what do you think of?  What words come to mind to describe it?  How would you describe my blog to someone who's never heard of it?  I'm curious about this.
  • Are there posts that you remember that meant something to you?  If so, which ones?
  • What are your favourite types of posts?
  • What do you wish I'd write more about?

So...thanks.  Thanks for putting up with me, walking through life with me, and for reading my rambles!  I'm really looking forward to the next three years here.

7 comments:

  1. I came to your blog via the older/sibling adopt group, and I LOVE your posts about learning. I also love following families that look like our (with kiddos from Ethiopia) and reading about how their lives look at different stages/ages. I think that your blog is very informative, and I've learned a lot from coming, thus I return. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erin!!! Much appreciated and I'm so glad you're here. I think we have lots in common!

    BLessings, and thanks again.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruth,
    Guess why I read your blog?
    1. I'm a fellow homeschooler and appreciate your insights into this life project.
    2. I'm an aunt to two Ethiopian born cuties and reading about your journey helps me better understand their experience, not to mention that of their parents.
    3. I'm curious about people's inner workings and your blog satisfies on that level.
    4. You're funny, full of insights, analytical, thorough, intelligent, not to mention a good writer... a pleasure to read!
    5. All of the above.
    Answer: 5 of course.
    Congratulations on three years of sharing your story and I'm looking forward to three more.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tammy...you are sweet and very, very kind..and I LOVE knowing why you read here!!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruth, the kids are outside playing, so I'm catching up on commenting.:) Yours is the only blog I follow, and I check it most mornings when I wake up. I love to be greeted by a post. I apologize for not commenting frequently enough to let you know that I do appreciate and enjoy your blog. Why do I keep reading even though I don't homeschool, did not adopt, etc, etc? Mainly because:
    (1) I find you insightful, funny, tender, honest and thought provoking. You have often made me laugh out loud, and occassionally made me cry.
    (2) I appreciate your posts on parenting, both the struggles and the celebrations because unlike some blogs that seems to ooze perfection, you are real. So often, I read something, and think, "wow, I go through the exact same thing". I think that Matthew and Sarah are similar in that they are both highly sensitive, attached, intelligent kids, who sometimes are not all that easy to parent because they feel things very deeply. You wrote one post about how you've come to embrace Matthew's sensitivity, which is a journey I've walked as well. I've evolved from "why does Sarah seem so much harder to parent than my friends' kids", to having much more appreciation for the blessing of her sensitive nature.
    3) As a teacher, I've taught kids like Seth and Lizzie who have gone through family trauma (be it death of a parent, adoption, foster care etc.), and I really believe that when I go back, I will be that much more aware/sensitive to their learning needs.
    3)I think I would really like you :)
    Congratulations on 3 years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristin, ok, so now it's your turn to make ME cry!! (and btw, I never intended for anyone/you to cray when reading my blog).
    Thank you for your lovely comments and for your feedback. I have often wished that you and I lived just a wee bit closer because I think we'd get along great; we have a lot in common in addition to our sensitive kids. :) You have been one of my most faithful commenters over the years, Kristin, and I have so often appreciated your wisdom and insight. Thank you!!

    And btw, I KNOW I'd like you!!!

    BLessings, and thanks,

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristin, ok, so now it's your turn to make ME cry!! (and btw, I never intended for anyone/you to cray when reading my blog).
    Thank you for your lovely comments and for your feedback. I have often wished that you and I lived just a wee bit closer because I think we'd get along great; we have a lot in common in addition to our sensitive kids. :) You have been one of my most faithful commenters over the years, Kristin, and I have so often appreciated your wisdom and insight. Thank you!!

    And btw, I KNOW I'd like you!!!

    BLessings, and thanks,

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete