Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lizzie in Colour

A few weeks ago, I was reminded by Lizzie about one of the many reasons why Geoff and I wanted to adopt siblings.

We were sitting in the library talking about colour.  Skin colour, to be precise.  Lizzie said that she liked it when she saw other people who look like her.  It was a profound thought for a kid not even five, I thought, and very revealing of how conscious our little ones can be of things such as colour and wanting to belong.  She noted a few friends in our lives who have brown skin like her, and then she said:  "And Seth, too.  He has brown skin like me.  I'm glad there two people with brown skin in our family."  When asked why, she said: "It's nice have both in our family.  I see someone every day who looks like me.  But you're ok looking peachy, Mommy."

Amazing.  I love this kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment