Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Leaving On a Jet Plane.

Tomorrow, I am leaving husband and children behind and flying off into the sunset.

Well, actually I'll be leaving in the wee hours of the morning, not at sunset, and I'll be home late afternoon Saturday.  But I'm excited.

I'm heading to Vancouver because one of my nephews is graduating from high school and I really want to be there.  Jon is an amazing not-quite-a-kid-anymore kid, and is the kind of person who could do pretty much anything he puts his mind to.  I have some pretty awesome nephews, I'd have to brag, and Jon is certainly one of them...I'm so proud of him for making it through.

And thank goodness for the assistance of airmiles, because they are covering my flight and car rental.

I've made arrangements to see only two friends, because in addition to spending time with my family I'm really looking forward to a little R&R.  My brother's home overlooks the Pacific, and I hope to spend some time wandering the beach below and meandering through the kitschy little shops that line the waterfront.  A few hours spent reading a book in a local coffee shop sounds pretty attractive, too.

It'll be the longest (by far) that I've been away from the kids, but they seem ok with it.  Geoff took a few days off of work to provide the continuity, and I've been giving him all manner of instruction about routines and stuff...I wonder how much of this will be followed! :)

I confess to a bit of nastiness.  I planned that, during my absence, all three kids have dental appointments and Seth has his fourth or fifth (I forget) round of triple vaccinations!  I figure that, after all of the many (usually weekly) medical and dental appointments I dragged the kids to for six months last year, Geoff can handle a mere two.  But I have to give him credit:  When I told him about the appointments, I thought he might grumble a bit, but he didn't...and I almost rubbed my hands together with glee.  Interesting how sad my life's become if that provides me with such amusement, wouldn't you say??  Good thing I'm getting a little break!

In the words (mostly) of John Denver:

So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go
Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane...


No comments:

Post a Comment