I cannot believe how much money is going out the door lately...certainly more than is incoming!
- Flights: $3,200 (this was on a world wide sale, so we got a bit lucky)
- Vaccines (with two thirds of our shots behind us): a whopping $1,300 so far (Hep A, Hep B, meningoccal, typhoid, diptheria, tetanus, polio, yellow fever, dukoral, and two or three that I'm forgetting!). We'll also have to purchase malaria meds before we go, in case we have the opportunity to travel to the southern region of Wolayta.
- Providing updated documents to Ethiopia: $300 + $285 to come
- Toys, etc, for handing out at the orphanages we'll visit: approx. $300
- Gifts for the children post court: approx. $110 each
- Miscellaneous purchases to get ready for the trip (plug adapters, flashlights, backpack, money belt, leg belt, new camera and extra lithium battery, a few new shirts, soaps and hand wipes, hand sanitizer, mosquito nets, various meds, etc etc etc): I'm guessing close to $800.
I'm scared to add that all up. And of course, that list doesn't include the cost of our time in Ethiopia (accommodation, meals, hopefully a trip to our child's birth region, things we would like to buy for our children, things we will buy for the orphanages, etc). Nor does it include the cost of (hopefully) trip #2, when we will travel to pick the children up and bring them home.
But...despite the swallow, I'm not complaining in any way, frankly. Though I hate seeing so much money vacating our bank account over such a short time frame, I would do it all again in a heart beat (and will, for trip #2! well, except for the vaccines) for the prospect of completing our family with these children. I. Can. Hardly. Wait.