Friday, April 30, 2010

Youch!!


That's my foot.  In addition to a broken toenail on my big toe, and a bloody nail bed from having almost half of the middle toe nail ripped off, I'm pretty sure I broke a couple of toes yesterday.  I broke a few toes many years ago, and those memories came back pretty quickly yesterday.  I should really have waited until today to take a picture because they look way worse today...the bruising extends to four of my toes now, and has travelled to the top of my foot as well as to the bottom of the toes; the toe that looks somewhat purple in this picture now looks dark purple in its entirety; and all of the toes are swollen now.

Yesterday, the door bell rang and I ran to answer it.  Unfortunately, in the course of completing a living-room-to-library conversion as well as putting together a new kitchen table and chairs, we've been shifting furniture around, and there are large pieces of furniture sitting where they don't normally sit.  So when I was running for the door, I had to dodge some of this stuff and jump up the two steps from the sunroom to the kitchen.  Most unfortunately, my foot failed to dodge the (solid) oak railing beside the steps.  Ka-boom.  It was so painful that I saw stars - for a moment I thought I was going to pass out. 

Anyway, it was a very big, very bad owie.  Walking isn't so much fun right now.  I'm also annoyed that it wrecked the pedicure I had done a couple of weeks ago...although the purple-black polish matches the rest of my foot now, so I guess that's something to be thankful for.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, OUCH!! I broke a toe a few years ago when I ran into a stack of hardwood flooring. AAAH! I think it took a year before it felt normal again. I hope you can walk again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm cringing. I've had a couple of bad toe injuries (both from dropping heavy/sharp items on my big toe), and it is the worse, longest-lasting pain I've experienced...hope things improve in short order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erk. And OW. Adam broke his little toe a couple of weeks ago, toe breaking is one of his special talents he seems to manage it almost annually. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete