Thursday, April 15, 2010

Something I've been Looking Forward to for a While...

...is this weekend.

Well before Christmas, I booked a flight to Calgary, leaving today and returning Sunday night.  The reason being:  an annual girls' weekend.

When Geoff and I moved from Vancouver in 2005, I left behind many friends - it was a very hard transition, to leave dear friends there, and to build new friendships here.  Thankfully, five of us (who met at the church we all attended with our spouses/families) decided that we simply couldn't bear the thought of never seeing each other again; so, voila, we created an annual tradition.  Since '05, two of our group have moved to Calgary, so we rotate the location of these weekends between Vancouver, Calgary, and here.  Last year I hosted everyone, this year we're back to Calgary.

It's a weekend of excess, in a way:  we eat too much (especially chocolate!); stay up way too late; sleep late; laugh to the point of having to hold together our aching guts and jaws; talk unceasingly.  But while most excess is not great, this is an example of excess that can be really, really good for the soul. We tend to plan very little for our time together - we've learned that what we really want to do together is just spend time together, not pack the weekend full of activities.   I love these women and find their company uplifting, encouraging, and so refreshing.  I'm hoping that when I come home this year, it will be without some of the soul-draining baggage that's been weighing me down lately.

Here we are (I'm second from the left).  I can hardly wait to see them, just a few hours from now.  Have a great weekend everyone...I know I will!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Ruth ,

    So happy for you
    Nothing better than laughing with your friends.

    I also have a great crew even if we are spread out.
    Always feels so great after we have been together.

    "we are wise wise woman , we are giggling girls"
    quote from a song that jumped to mind as I read your post.

    Have a great weekend.
    Hope this helps you adjust to the news, that you still have longer to wait.

    Re-charge well. I will be holding up the wait with you.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a restful, rejuvenating, soul-uplifting weekend. Missed seeing you yesterday and look forward to hearing about your Calgary adventures soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds absolutely wonderful Ruth, have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friendships...what a blessing! I hope that this weekend is a true getaway, very relaxing and refreshing and that you will feel like you have left some of your burden behind. Have fun! And indulge in all the excess!

    ReplyDelete