Friday, February 26, 2010

Meal Planning - Part 2 of 2

Over the years, as I've had occasion to talk with people about meal planning, it seems that there's generally consensus that meal planning is a good thing.  The usual benefits cited are: cost savings; and mental relief, not to have to think too much about what to cook for dinner on any given day.

Based on both past, and present, experience, I'd say that I agree with both of these benefits.  Other benefits I've observed in our life are:  it's a healthier way to eat, simply because it involves planning for a more balanced way of eating, and it means that healthy foods are what's available in the house; also, if I know what I'm cooking tonight, I'm not even tempted to think about how nice it might be to go out for dinner tonight.

So, as promised, I'm posting one of my recent three-week meal plans (below).  Pretty much everything you see on it is made as much from scratch as possible (from tartar sauce to oven-baked potato 'fries,' to perogies, to biscuits, to yorkshire pudding).  My hope is that this might encourage someone to give menu planning a try - whether using this kind or format or something else.  Also, I'd love to hear your suggestions for my meal plan.  Any thoughts about how to improve or modify it?  Any good, healthy recipes you want to offer (Corrie, again, thank you so much for the ones you sent me!!)?  I'm sure that others are waaaaaay better menu planners than I am, and I'd love to hear your ideas.

It's an oddly vulnerable feeling, putting my food choices right out there!  But here goes anyway:



Week 1
Protein/Entree
Veggies
Extras
Fish
Crispy (panko) Sole Fillets - baked 
Oven 'Fries,' Broccoli Slaw salad 
tartar sauce
Vegetarian
Black Bean &  Corn Quesadillas
Spinach salad (spinach, mushrms, g.onions...)
salsa, s.cream
Beef/Pork
Roast Beef
Mashed pot., Carrots (roasted)
yorkshire pudding
Chicken
Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
Leftover mashed pot., corn
gravy?
Chicken/MIsc.
Mac’n cheese, farmer sausage
Caesar salad
-
Soup/Misc.
Butternut squash soup
(in soup)
baguette




Week 2
Protein/Entree
Veggies
Extras
Fish
Baked salmon, rice
Broccoli
cheese sauce
Vegetarian
Perogies - Liz's recipe (mashed, cheddar)
Onions, Broccoli slaw
s.cream
Beef/Pork
Burritos, ww tortillas, cheddar
(in burritos); leftover slaw
s.cream
Chicken
Sweet-and-Sour chicken, rice
Cauliflower
cheese sauce
Chicken/MIsc.
Pizza: Greek (tomatoes; feta; chicken)
Greek salad
-
Soup/Misc.
Cheddar/Veg/Ham Chowder
(in soup)
cheddar bay biscuits




Week 3
Protein/Entree
Veggies
Extras
Fish
Roasted Trout/gremolada, wild rice
Brussel sprouts
-
Vegetarian
South of the Border Lasagna
Caesar salad
-
Beef/Pork
Pork Tenderl. w.cider-herb sauce, scalloped
Green beans

Chicken
Spaghetti w.pesto, gr.chicken, tomatoes
Spinach salad (spinach, mushrms, g.onion...)

Chicken/MIsc
Sweet & Sour Chicken, w.wh.rice
Grilled onions/peppers

Soup/Misc.
Salmon Chowder w.veggies
(in soup)
cheddar bay biscuits







Breakfasts:
Lunches (w.fruit & veggies/dip):
Weekend Desserts:
Baking:
oatmeal
Flatbread ‘pizzas’ - tomatoes/beef/ch.
Choc.p. butter pudding cake
Morning Gl.Muffins
toast
pumpkin muffin with yogurt & berries
Peach/yogurt trifle
Strawberry Muffins
yogurt & berries
mini bagels w.cream cheese
Apple Brown Betty

french toast
beans on toast


eggs
cheese & crackers


pancakes
sandwiches: p.butter; toasted tomato; gr.cheese


cereal
tomato/ch.noodle soup

smoothies
pasta - parm & butter; tomatoes; shell; pesto



cheese quesadillas



leftovers



Little Chefs ‘moose’ pasta




4 comments:

  1. Ruth,

    I really like your template! I liked the old one also, but it is nice to change it up every once in a while.
    I love your meal menu! It has quite a verity and looks well balanced to me!!
    I wish I could cook half of the things you do! Sheldon could not eat more that half of the things you make. No fruits, no veggies, (except raw carrots and mashed potatoes) and nothing too saucy or seasoned. And he's not big on dessert.
    Sheldon has a HUGE gag reflex!!! He also has an extra little pocket in his throat that makes it harder to swallow some things. He also usually has canker sores or cold sores. (I can never keep those straight in my mind.) He has the ones IN his mouth. So he can't have spicy stuff. (like tomato sauce)
    I envy you that Geoff is not a picky eater.
    Anyway, thanks for showing your meal menu! It has given my some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth! Thank you so much for your comments on my blog! I'm glad someone found my curriculum rambles interesting. :) Love the meal planning chart -- so many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other thing I love about meal planning is that it actually gets me trying new recipes. Without the planning we'd get home from work, hungry, without anything prepped or thawed and I'd always fall back on old, easy things. In my plans I always plan for about 2 new recipes per month and then we vote to keep them in the mix or not. A

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. I loved Cutting for Stone... good choice! A

    ReplyDelete