Monday, January 25, 2010

Comfort Food

In case anyone's in need/want of a new soup recipe, I tried out a new recipe tonight that was delicious, easy, hearty, and healthy.

Hamburger Soup

1 large onion, finely chopped
1.5 - 2 pounds ground beef (I use organic, but it needn't be)
1 28-oz can diced tomatoes (not seasoned)
2+ cups of water (I used 2 cups and got a lovely thick soup - but thin it out if you'd like)
3 cups (beef) consomme
1 can tomato soup
4 large carrots, chopped finely
3 stalks celery, chopped finely
8 Tablespoons pearl barley
1 bay leaf
parsley (I had dried on hand)
A good sprinkle of herbes de provence (or thyme & basil)
S&P to taste

In a bit of olive oil, saute the onions until soft (8-10 minutes).  Add ground beef and brown lightly (it'll cook more thoroughly later).  Then add all of the rest of the ingredients.  Simmer over low heat for two hours.  Serve with warm, crusty bread.

Perfect comfort food on a cold winter night.

4 comments:

  1. Ruth,
    I love making soup! Sheldon doesn't like soup, so I make it very rarely! I got a soup pot for Christmas and I haven't used it yet. I was thinking of making some today, but didn't have time.I think your recipe sounds good. So, guess what
    I'm doing tomorrow!:) -Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Let me know how the soup turns out. I love making soups, too...tell Sheldon to buck up - it's healthy for him!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth,

    Well, I made soup yesterday. It was your recipe but with a twist. I didn't have celery. So I added a mixture of dried peas, rice, beans, etc. Everything else was your recipe. I turned out great! Thanks for the recipe! -Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great twist to the recipe, Hilary. Glad it turned out...though I heard a complaint from Sheldon...something to the effect that you and I were conspiring to get him to eat things (by which I'm assuming he means veggies!) that he didn't like. I figure if you get a funnel, you can just pour it down his throat!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete