Saturday, November 28, 2009

It's Not a Full Moon...It's a NEW Moon

If you've looked at all at my book list at the bottom of this page, you may have noticed that, earlier this year, I read Stephenie Meyer's four-part Twilight series. Is there anyone who hasn't heard of this series??  When I read them, it was in response to having heard a number of people suggest that they were a good read...one friend in particular (yes, it's you, Arlene).  Because I've never been a person to read or enjoy  vampire-themed books, I was surprised that I found myself quite enjoying these ones, though perhaps it's because I don't really think they're so much about vampires as they are about young love...a modern-day kind of Pride and Prejudice, really.  My least favourite of the four books was book number two; I also had some qualms about book number four, during which reading I found myself (on a couple of occasions) saying something along the lines of: "you've got to be kidding!"  Nonetheless, a good read.

A couple of months ago, a few people mentioned to me that they had also enjoyed the Twilight movie - which came out in November of 2008.  So, I got the DVD and watched it...and liked it enough to watch it more than once!  Then, just over a month ago, I was at a movie theatre one evening and noticed that they were selling advance tickets to the opening night of the sequel to the Twilight movie, New Moon.  Well, wouldn't you know it, I was inspired to purchase a ticket...over a month before the movie premiere actually happened!  I know that this is not something that I should probably admit to having done because it was really quite juvenile...but, like, whatever.

So, just over a week ago, on November 19th, at 10:00 pm, I went by myself (and hundreds of other adoring fans) to see New Moon.  And I enjoyed it, though I definitely liked the first one better.  I won't say anything about the content in case there are others who plan on seeing it.  In fact, if there's someone out there who'd like to see it, I'd like to go again.  Not because I was so enamoured with it the first time, but because the first time was somewhat spoiled for me, for a few reasons:

1. First, the theatre was packed - I mean, every seat taken.  This isn't my preferred way to see a movie.  I guess I should have known better.

2.  Second, when the two lead male actors appeared on screen for the first few times, the younger contingent of the audience (which comprised about a third of the total number of bodies there) felt obliged to scream their approval - their shrieks of "Oh Edward...Jacob...omg look at his muscles..." were more than a bit distracting.  One woman was apparently so hysterical at the prospect of seeing Edward again that, just before entering the theatre, she fainted -  paramedics had to be brought in and, as a result, she and the unfortunate friend who accompanied her that night were unable to see the movie.  Yikes.

3. Finally, there were four mid-twenties women sitting directly behind me who simply would not stop talking, even after I asked them if they would mind keeping it down; they just kept right on talking their way through the entire movie.  That made it hard to focus on the movie.

I have been rather embarrassed by my interest in seeing New Moon on opening night.  After all, I'd like to think of myself as a relatively mature woman in her 40s.  Thus, I went to the movie by myself, hoping not to run into anyone I knew (I didn't).  I was comforted by the sight of a lot of other 40-something women in the audience and I ultimately decided, even as I stood in line before the show started, that I need more often to embrace this side of my personality - it's just plain fun...and silly!

No comments:

Post a Comment