Wednesday, October 22, 2014

No Need for Matthew to Complete any Further Education

Yesterday, as we were driving on route somewhere, I made an offhand comment about a mistake that I'd made that morning...I was a little frustrated with myself.  Lizzie right away assured me that it was going to be all right, and Seth said that it was ok to make mistakes.  Matthew was silent.

Then, a couple of minutes later, Matthew said:

"Mom?"

"Yes," I responded.

Matthew:  "You know, I've been thinking.  I actually think it's ok to fail at things.  It's really ok to fail.  Because that's how we learn best how to do things better or differently the next time.... The more we make mistakes, the bigger the mistake, the more we learn."

My response, after I got over my shock?  I told him that he no longer needed to do any school.

"Seriously, Mom?" he doubted.

"Seriously, Matthew," I replied.  "You've just learned and were able to express the most important part of education.  You're done."

Again, silence.  Then this, from my still-new reader:  "OK.  But I still want to read, ok?"

Ahh.  Sometimes, during moments like these, I really do think my job is done.


1 comment: