Saturday, July 21, 2018

It's Been a While

Truly, it has been a long time since I've blogged...five months or so. That's a long time, and I have missed it.

The challenge has been that my kids are no longer comfortable with me posting extensively about their lives. I have always tried to be sensitive to what they may or may not want me to write about them, and have asked them on many occasions if they were ok with me writing about certain aspects of their lives/personalities. Until recently, the answer to those questions were that is is fine.  But then, on one of my last posts, I posted something about Lizzie that a family friend ended up talking with her about and she was terribly upset about how I had worded a few things and asked me to take the post down...which I did immediately. And since then, I have been unable to bring myself to post. I was embarrassed that I'd embarrassed her, and embarrassed that I didn't know better. So I stopped for a time.

I'm always going to write a little about my family - after all, it's the most all-consuming part of my life on a day-to-day basis. But I need, also, to find new ways of expressing myself. And I hope to do just that in the days ahead.

Maybe everyone's checked out of my blog after such long absences. But if you're still here, I'm glad. I hope you are, too.

Sending out a hug to anyone still here.

Ruth

6 comments:

  1. I'm still here! Missed you!
    As the kids get older, the balance changes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is waaaay late in response, but I didn't realize I'd been getting a few comments. So lovely to know that you were here last summer, Ellen. I think of you fondly!!

      Ruth

      Delete
  2. I don't think I'll ever check out! I check in on you at least once a week and I'm always thrilled when there is something new. I look forward to seeing what new turns your writing takes as you navigate new ways of telling your stories.

    Stay well, Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry it took this long until I discovered that people had been commenting. Thank you for being here, Jill, and so faithfully. You are so encouraging. I miss so much blogging more often than I'm able to. Keep checking back...I'm hoping to be here a little more often.

      Blessings and hugs,

      Ruth

      Delete
  3. Hello There! I stopped by periodically to see if you had posted, but figured maybe you needed a break after years of sharing your world with many. Definitely sorry that your daughter and yourself experienced that. I struggle with balancing my desire to share with my sister’s need for privacy at times. It’s difficult to spend your life’s work tending to others and not share the trials and tribulations along with the triumphs. However, I have no doubt you’re doing the right thing in abstaining from sharing the level of detail your young people were once consenting too. So lovely to hear a bit from you. Your writing has resonated with me for years!
    -Charity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charity! Thank you, very belatedly, for the comment. I can't believe I haven't been informed by blogger of the comments being left here...I have it set up that I get sent an email when a comment comes in, but obviously I haven't been getting such emails. Soooooo lovely to hear from you and I hope things are going well in your world and that your sister is well...I miss hearing about the two of you.

      Keep coming back and checking in...love having you here.

      Sending a hug over the miles!

      Ruth

      Delete